Wednesday, May 1, 2013

I conquered Big Sur!!!

Over the next few days I'll be working on a nice big race recap (with photos) of Big Sur, but I wanted to let everyone know I made it! The course was really tough. When I say tough I don't just mean elevation, I mean a lot of things. But yeah, the elevation was nothing to scoff at! Hurricane Point was actually harder on me than I thought it would be, but those hills at the end were brutal. To put what I'm talking about into perspective, here is the elevation profile from my Garmin:

This was, hands down, the hardest thing mentally that I have ever run. Physically it was challenging, but so much of running is mental. I chose to run this course 100% on feel and ditched any and all plans for pacing somewhere around mile 6. I'll go into detail on this on my recap!

Thank you for all the support, emails, cards, text messages, and comments!! I was very humbled on this course, and while the ultimate goal wasn't a time goal, of course I had a few in mind. I hit my "B" goal. Let's just say, after running the course I am pretty darn elated with how well I did, despite quite a few dark moments.

My official course time was 4:47:53, which meant I squeaked by right under 11/minutes with a 10:59 course pace. Hallelujah!! Oh yeah, this was over a 30 minute PR from the Columbia Gorge Marathon... Woot!

I'm happy to report that I am feeling top notch. There really isn't much residual soreness going on, and I'm sure it's because I chose to walk around quite a bit afterward, but also because I trained the heck outta some tough stuff. I even tackled a beautiful trail run yesterday on my last day off of work because the forest was calling my name. Official recap is coming soon! I'm Brie, I have a lot to say. Get ready! Ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. Holy insert a crap tons of curse words here - You cut an amazing PR on what is supposed to be the most beautiful, but hardest marathon! Evil devil hills and you killed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the PR!!! Cant' wait to see the photos!

    ReplyDelete