Saturday, April 20, 2013

Oh, the lists! Yes, indeed!

Holy smokes, I'm pretty darn excited! Big Sur is only a week away, can you believe it?? Yipee!!

Today was my last long run, of 10 miles (though it ended up being about 9 1/2 which was fine by me) and my legs felt great. That's the thing about tapering, you really start to see just how good it feels to reduce volume. It also probably helps that I have a big exciting trip planned too. After Deb turned around to head back to the store (she was running 8), Shannon, Elisia (gosh, I probably butchered her name even though I've asked her to spell it for me. Alysia? sigh.) and I branched off and I took them through my neighborhood. My neighborhood is great, but it's boring alone. There's a lot of huge crazy houses here and I find the columns and ceramic lions people have in their yards pretty hilarious. I had a fun time and my watch even died, so it was a nice no-pressure run for me! Just the right type to have the week before a marathon.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to pack for the trip. I have to catch an Airbus to Monterey 20 minutes after we land, so I'm not going to chance anything and check a bag. I'm crossing my fingers that Southwest will continue to be on time or early. With a 9am flight, I think the chances are pretty good. I'm a runner after all, I'll run with my backpack across that darn airport! Not checking a bag though means that I'm a bit more limited on what I can bring. It's probably overkill to bring my big backpack that I brought through Europe, but I've got a lot on my list!

This list has been formulating in my head for weeks but I'm publishing it so I can use it as a checklist:

Packing List

Clothes
-Two running outfits, in case I change my mind or if I run a couple really easy miles Saturday night in Monterey (!!)
-Running jacket, which I likely will not wear, but will consider if it's raining -Regular warmer jacket, for the start line/sweats bag -Running shoes, I have a brand new pair of tried and true shoes just for the race (Brooks Ghosts)
-Dress, casual but cute, in case I decide to go to the post race party in my hotel
-Cozy lounging clothes, because what else are you going to want to wear after a race?
-Injiji socks, sports bras, underwear (dur)
-Bathing suit, oh hello hot tub and pool!
-Sunblock, because I burn!
-Garmin & HR strap
-Camera, oh yes, gonna take lots of pictures!
-Body Glide, travel size lotion, chapstick, deodorant, extra set of contacts, and pretty much anything else I remember to bring that I'm sure I forgot to list here!

Food
I'm bringing food for a few reasons:
1) I am a pretty healthy picky eater
2) I've practice what works for me before long runs/races and need familiar stuff
3) I'm really starting to worry about money. Yikes :(

-Picky Bars, my monthly order is coming in mid-next week which is perfect timing. ~3 because they're great in a pinch too
-Vegan Thumbprint Cookies, made with oat flour, barley flour, almonds, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon and a little jam in the middle = excellent source of protein, carbs and just delicious (yes, I totally have a sweet tooth but these aren't very sweet)
-Fruit salad, for Saturday lunch
-Sandwich, for Saturday lunch
-Brown rice, precooked from Trader Joes for dinners
-Pre-cooked chicken breast strips and roasted veggies (made at home, to have with rice for early dinner on Saturday night). I won't have a cooler but I'm not concerned about food I've made that sits for 5 hours until I put it on ice at hotel -Annie Chun's Udon Noodles, I don't live on convenience foods but I do know what works for me and what doesn't and this soup works
-Tea
-Chia Seeds, rolled oats, sliced almonds, cinnamon, cardamom, blueberries & a container
-Kiwi's and Banana's! LOVE kiwi (with the skin!) and bananas are just great fuel to have.

Things to buy
-almond milk & greek yogurt to add the the chia seeds, oats, etc. for breakfast. Wake up is super early so I'll just mix up the "refrigerator oatmeal" at night, put it in the ice box and voila! my tried and true pre-run fuel!
-Tastee Bites Indian food, this would be awesome for post-race food. I'm not sure if I could get away w/bringing it on the plane so I'd have to find a store. This stuff mixed with some pre-packaged cooked rice makes a super easy meal.
-Anything I forget, which inevitably might be something!

My main goal is to really save money on this trip. Mostly this can be done on food, if you can't tell by the fact that HALF of my backpack space will likely be food. This is what I did for my 5 week Europe trip in 2010 too, so I have some experience. I guess I didn't budget as well as I wanted, because right now I have to dip a bit into my line of credit to pay for the crazy $550 hotel cost! 2 nights in a hotel in Monterey is crazy expensive. This will definitely be the most I've spent to sleep somewhere, but the convenience factor is really important to me since my legs are my only transportation!

So I've got a pretty extensive list going and I'm sure there will be a bit more I've added to it, but I'm sure it's obvious that I'm a detailed crazy person who is really flippin' excited!

PS - you can expect to see a few more silly posts like this over the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe we are both a week out. I did my last 10 miler this weekend too.
    You will love Monterey and the whole area. My g-ma lives in Pacific Grove and I always run along the ocean and into Monterey while I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me of your list.

    ReplyDelete