Monday, February 18, 2013

Big Sur Training Week 7 Recap

Okay, okay, I'm posting my weekly training recaps. Gah, I'll do the picture stuff eventually. I'll be honest, I'm not really following a plan this season. I made up my own from last season, but I do have two that I look at for idea's. The first one is from my coach and the other(new) one from Runnersconnect that is a bit more detailed. I like the details and think next season I'm going to sign up and use that. For now, I really am just running when I feel like it and making sure I'm getting my weekend long runs in and enough mileage at a place I feel comfortable. It may not be as much as other people, but it's what is working for me so far!

I'm not really sure if last week was technically week 7, but I am following a 3 week increase, 4th week cutback, and this week is my second cut-back week, so that means I'm calling last week lucky number 7!

Monday
Nada! Brie cheese, Beaujolais-Villages, and Baguette was my after work indulgence. It was a much needed dose of carbohydrates and libations after a tough week.

Tuesday
5 miles easy
No time on this one because I ditched my watch. I rarely run watchless but I've been in a rut with these night-time runs. This run felt great and I was out there for about an hour and did a lot of weaving. Since I was in my neighborhood I have a general idea of how far a mile is and my guess of mileage is conservative.

Wednesday
Track Intervals
5.12 miles at 43:47 (8:33 avg pace)
These were intervals though so average pace doesn't mean anything. Here is what I did:

All effort in main set @ 85%, 30 sec rest between each- 1 mile warm up: 8:51 pace Dynamic stretches/track drills --Main set-- 1600m: 8:37 pace 1200m: 8:13 pace 800m: 8:03 pace 400m: 7:22 pace 1600m: 100m on/100m off (active recovery): 8:31 pace (~7:45 on/9:30 off) 2 laps cool down: 9:18 pace

I felt pretty great after this because I increased my pace throughout each set and wasn't completely wiped at the end. Sometimes track nights go really well and other times they suck.

Thursday
Tempo Sets
6.52 miles at 1:02:15 (9:33 pace)
Valentines date with my running shoes!
The workout was 1 mile warm up, 2 x 2 miles at 9:10 - 9:20 pace w/4 minutes jog/walk in between set, 1 mile cool down.

It is a little over a mile to the track from my house so I just did my warm up and cool down over and back. I'm not a fan of stopping at lights when trying to hit a pace so I generally have 3 options for nighttime right now for uninterrupted workouts:
1)The Treadmill (boring but okay for intervals and to change things up)
2)The Track (the plus of getting fresh air, but can get monotonous. SO FLAT)
3)Portland Waterfront (love this route and it's a little over a mile to the loop, but sometimes it's so crowded and I don't want my ego to get the best of me and speed up)

I finished Thursday's workout feeling really good. Both of the 2 mile sets were at a 9:15 pace so I nailed that. But two non-easy workouts in a row meant I was TIRED on Friday.

Friday
Rest Day! Usually Friday's are a definite day off. Something about getting extra rest before the long run feels good. Though I'm realizing there is some value in getting in a medium-long run the day before to stimulate those later miles in a marathon. I may try that in a few weeks...

Saturday
14.51 miles in 2:33:15 (10:34 pace)
Vista Hill!! I conquered it!! If you're not familiar with the hill up to Council Crest in Portland, it's a whopper. My fancy watch says close to 1,000 feet gained in just under 3 miles. Once you get to the top there are some rolling hills on a 3.5 mile loop, but they don't feel tough after you've made the climb. This was the first run my coach came out and met us to give us water/snacks! I had missed that.

I started the run about an hour before the group so I could actually run this whole route with them. I've been really lonely running extra miles on my own and most of the awesomeness about running with a group is finishing with the group. I'm not a morning person but I think this may have converted me to start my runs earlier. Plus it was pretty awesome to be done before 10:30! I had planned to run 15 miles but eh, not worried! Good hill training for Big Sur. The best part is, Hurricane Point is not nearly as long/steep as the Vista Hill. My pace on the 3 steepest miles was 12:09 / 12:21 / 11:39. I did power-walk a few times but I did not stop my watch or take a break! (Though at the top, when we met Jeremy, yeah, I did for about 4 minutes)

My heart rate was higher than usual on this run (on the flats) so I knew my body was still recovering from Wednesday and Thursday's run. A few hours after the run, after I refueled, I took a 40 minute walk around my neighborhood and ran some errands. I finally was able to exchange the Bath and Body works stuff my dad got me for Xmas and got some nice peppermint soap and some unscented lotion. Yay!

Sunday
3.75 miles in 40:03 (10:39 pace)
Kept slowing myself down on this one but I know that running my easy days too fast is just a detriment to my training. I also felt like I could keep on running, but both Jeremy (Run Program Coach) and Jeff (Runners Connect Coach)are limiting my Sunday runs to 30 minutes/3 miles. I misbehaved a little. Ah, oh well. I feel pretty good today.I'm also happy to report I haven't had any foot pain or other issues! Just tight hips and calves, which I work out as much as I can.

Weekly Mileage: 34.9

No comments:

Post a Comment