Saturday, October 27, 2012

Quick last minute update

I am home for the night! I was hoping to get in a nice walk but it's pouring and I'd rather not have any sniffles tomorrow. (You just never know!!)

Before every important race I try to see my acupuncturist. She's been really wonderful throughout this season with energy levels and calming nerves. Today I've been in a strange calm space and after seeing her I'm even more mellow. I feel really good right now. I'm actually pretty tired even.

Sadly, it looks like it is going to be raining quite a lot tomorrow so I don't think I'm going to run with my camera. At this point the benefits of having it don't outweigh the cost since it's not waterproof and having to grab it out of a baggy then stuff it back in my pack would be tough. It'll be with at the start and the finish though. If it seems to be dry I'll consider carrying it! I never think to take pictures though, I'm usually really lost in my head. I have limited space in my pack and while I have never gone through more than 1 and 1/3 of the Ignite Naturals Fig Paste I decided to pack two of them. I've also packed 3 shot blocks, a small baggy of Swedish fish and 1/2 of a massive power cookie (Oats and a 3 different seeds: pumpkin, flax, sunflower). The other 1/2 along with my normal greek yogurt, almond milk and garden of life protein mix will be my breakfast! I'm also carrying water and electrolytes for the longer stretches of the climb w/out water, but will stop at all the aid stations.

I'm still trying to decide what to wear. I'll play it by ear though as the aid stations allow drop offs. I've got a basic outfit that works and I'll likely stick to it but add in a lightweight Brooks water repellent jacket if it's pouring when we start and then just drop it at an aid station along the way. I'd like to not have to wear a jacket at all though!

Since I volunteered last night I was able to get a discounted long sleeved quarter zip tech shirt. They had an olive green and a blue color so I went with blue. It's made by Greenlayer which is a great local company! I won't wear it tomorrow but it will definitely get use over the winter.

I'm about to go eat some soup/bread and then in a couple hours making dinner. I decided on something easy and something that I know would work for me: grilled salmon, black beans, tomatoes (salsa), and either quinoa or a little brown rice. I've always eaten fairly light the night before a race and made sure to eat before 7 and that works well!

Just wanted to post one last update for my family - mostly it's an apology if I don't have a lot of pictures. The route should still be pretty but also pretty wet! I'll do what I can :)

No comments:

Post a Comment