Thursday, August 16, 2012

Busy Brie!!

Oh my gosh, I am so darn busy you guys. CLR feels like forever ago even though it was only 2 weeks. I haven't had a chance to go through all the pictures yet --I'm not entirely sure where all my time is going besides running, working and sleeping. I'm working from home tomorrow because I need to fix the brakes on my car so I should have some downtime (hopefully) to at least start sorting through pictures and adding them to the post I've yet to hit "publish" on.

As for other running related things here are a few updates:

-Last weekend I ran up Vista which is about 1,000 feet of elevation gain over 2 1/2 miles. There was some power-walking involved, but I conquered it. We did two loops at the top around Council Crest (mild rolling hills) and then back to the store for a total of 15.5 miles. I felt really great! The fig paste is working for me.

-Last night at track practice a huge tree branch fell out of nowhere onto the track. It was really scary and we all sprinted over to help anyone who may have been over there. The massive branch trapped one girl who was training with her coach from a local college. Two of our girls got scratched up pretty bad, but they're alright. The other girl was taken to the hospital and thankfully she only ended up with a broken arm and some bruises/cuts. The news report estimated it to be 600lbs!!
http://www.kgw.com/video/featured-videos/Branch-falls-on-runner-at-SW-Portland-track-166410516.html

-Right now it is 6pm and 98F. It was 82 degrees at 10am this morning when I went for my run. I was supposed to hit 5 miles but was more than happy with 3 and some change! I drank a lot of water and ran in the shade as much as I could.

-I ran 31 miles last week so I have been cutting back a little this week instead of last week when it was on the schedule. I know the long run will be at least 16 miles this weekend. I don't think I'll be running until then. It's too hot to run and I'm more than happy to take a little more time resting.

-Last night after the tree fell and everyone went home in my group I stuck around. I had a lot of adrenaline and decided to put it to good use and ran a flat out super fast mile. I didn't look at my watch and I ran around the tree on the grass. When I got home I uploaded my data and saw that I ran that mile in 7 minutes and 34 seconds!! I have not run that fast since 5th grade. Of course I am sure I couldn't sustain that pace for much longer but I was pretty darn excited. I remember checking the temperature when I was heading home and it was 91 degrees then too!

-Next Sunday I'm going to be running the Eugene Women's half, which is a race that I ran last year and for my birthday this year my dad bought me the race entry! I was a little bummed last year that all the free massage times were filled up when I finished so you can bet I'll be running for a darn massage this year!! I'm not making any solid goals, but I am secretly hoping that I'll hit my 2:10 half time on this run (or really close!). I am trained and the distance isn't an issue anymore it's just sustaining speediness, which I've been working on. The race is fairly flat so I think my chances of running my goal time are pretty good!

-Tonight is a laundry night and work night. Then it's off to catch up with a friend who moved to Chicago for a quick drink and then back home to sleep. I've been a busy bee and while it's been nice I am kind of sad I don't have the bandwidth to post as much anymore. As I already mentioned, I'm getting a lot of my running stuff out over on dailymile, where people log workout's. It's been pretty great and inspiring and also fun to keep up with others and keep track of my own stuff in a social environment.

Time to go but I'll try to be back sooner than later!

No comments:

Post a Comment