Saturday, June 9, 2012

Happy news! Plus Week #3, Long Run

I pitched the race registration idea to my mom, as come bday time she's always looking for ideas and she signed me up! I'm pretty excited about running my first half of 2012 on the 4th of July. It'll be good to see where I'm at in a month. Will I be walking part of this race? Unless an act of miracle happens, of course I will be. I'm looking forward to seeing where all of my training has taken me after only 6 weeks (at the time of the race) though.

Thank you mom! It's a great present! To anyone else, race entries right now are complete luxuries and while I know running isn't that exciting to most of you (and it probably sounds dangerous or a lot to some), just know that I really do love races. I'm not the fastest one out there by any means, but I love a little dash of competition here and there. I love seeing how training has paid off. Certainly this year, (even though it's only week 3) I am a lot more consistent and I can tell already. I would love some more feedback though occasionally. I think I need to get out there and start linking this blog onto the runner blogs that I read. When I say feedback I think I just mean encouragement. I guess some of this can get pretty boring because there aren't pictures. I know I'm also not currently right to an audience that runs so I don't expect too much, but you guys, I want to share in my happy excitement of these little moments.

Today's long run was not really long, but it was super challenging. I ran 3 1/2 miles instead of the 5 we were supposed to run because the route was treacherous. I can run up hills, but the Thurman hill up to the Leif Erikson trail is pure evil. It's a mile and 1/2 from the store to the trail head, with the first 1/2 mile being a steady elevation gain and the last part to the trail head is just nuts. Then once you get on the trail the first 2-3 miles are a pretty solid (steady) elevation gain. I went to trail marker 1/4 mile on the trail where I was supposed to go to mile marker 1, but I was just too tired to keep going. We also only had one pace leader for the 1/2 group and he seemed really concerned about his 10 minute pace and making up our time lost while we were struggling up the hill, on the down part. I decided to ditch him and I turned around and went back alone. I still feel accomplished and my legs are sore! My heart rate hadn't gotten that high in awhile, so I knew I wasn't ready for it.

Today I'm thinking a nice day of relaxing is in store. I got all of my supplies to make more granola bars and I have some salmon to cook up for dinner later. I may actually even nap today! All I know is that I'm about 5 times more tired than when I ran the 5 miles last week so rest is in store. I have a google offer I bought a few months back for a pedicure and manicure that I might go get because having my calves massaged right now would be amazing. My landlord has people outside fixing the french drain today, which hopefully means no more water in my bedroom! We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment