Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving Week and Weekend Recap

The past 4 days have been pretty epic. They swayed from epically good to epically bad but overall things are mostly good!

It was raining east coast rain style for a good 3-4 days here last weekend/early this week. This made for a great snow base up on Mount Hood and the mountain opened a little earlier than expected, which was very awesome. A friend went up the weekend before but was staying overnight and I just couldn't swing that, as I had to work last Sunday. I vowed to try and make it up there Thanksgiving weekend sometime!

Tuesday night I came home to a flooded apartment. I live in a basement apartment that is fully carpeted so it was hard to tell just how much water was sopped up in the carpets but it was pretty wet. My landlord brought down a bunch of towels and we soaked up the water on top and turned up the space heaters, but there is still quite a bit of water under the carpeting. She doesn't seem too worried about it but I am. Mold grows pretty fast, especially in heat and since there is no dehumidifier down here the water really can only go in the air. She's bought a couple containers of desiccant but those are more for ongoing small issues, not 'a bunch of water has leaked in from the gutters' situation.

I'm not really sure what to do right now. I don't want to be a pesky tenant and I know the cost of replacing the bulging baseboard and the carpet padding is high (and also a pain) but mold is not a happy thing. I had a dream last night that the carpet was ripped up and mold had spread to certain parts that I didn't even think got wet, but that's just it, mold does spread. If the carpet is still squishy on Tuesday (1 week), I am going to have to bite the bullet and ask her to please consider replacing the padding. I'd feel a lot better with a rented dehumidifier too.

Wednesday night I started to make some food for Thanksgiving dinner that I was going to at my cousin Cliff and his awesome wife, Kim's in Eugene. I roasted some asparagus and beets and made a tasty salad with some red wine vinegar, arugula and chevre, but it got kind of soggy by dinner time on Thursday. Oh well! I also made some collards at Kim and Cliffs place on Thursday before dinner and they turned out well!

The drive down to Eugene on Thursday wasn't bad at all and I made it with a tiny bit of traffic in about 2 hours. I met a couple of Kim's friends from college who shared dinner with us and brought delicious pies (chocolate and pecan!) and were hilarious. We all had a fabulous time. Cliff also made a sweet potato pie and I have never liked yams, but this pie was amazing! I also dislike the word yam. Sweet potato just sounds so much better. I was sad for awhile that there was no pumpkin pie but it was just as good, if not better! It was nice to spend time with some family and while I've known Kim for awhile it's really nice to get to know her better because she's an awesome addition to the family. We had a fun time chatting about family, traveling, food, and all the other random stuff that family talks about.

I stole one of Kim's pictures from her blog of us before eating to share with family:



I also gained 2lbs from all the delicious foods - seriously! Ahh! I love family but it's so easy to eat lots of amazing food around them and not care. Haha! I'm going to do what I can to get back down to where I was when I was running regularly (about 140) as I've gained close to 8lbs since then. It's a bit disheartening, mostly because I feel pretty out of shape! I'll have to work on running/walking a bit more. My knee was acting up pretty bad at their house and I know it's not healed, but some more activity will help make me feel better.

Friday I drove back to Portland and decided to stop at Woodburn, a local outlet mall to get some ski pants at Columbia. Since it was about 1:30 when I got there I figured all of the black friday craziness would have died down and boy was I wrong! It took me 20 minutes to find parking (no joke!) but I was determined since I already had a ride up to the mountain Saturday morning. The funny thing is, the ski pants I bought were not really on any special sale. I could hear people saying things like, "wow, these are 40% off!" but I noticed that the prices were all original prices or only marked down a little. The ski pants weren't any cheaper than when I went to the Columbia outlet store in Sellwood (10 minutes or so from pdx) to look around. I bought a pair of mediums, which are sizes 8-10 and they are pretty huge around the waist. I usually wear 6's but I'm guessing I'm about a 6-8 right now. They didn't have any smalls, which is what I tried on before and fit better. Thankfully they have a cinch on the back to tighten them so I can pull the waist in so they stay up. They're nice and lightweight though, so it's perfect for warmer snow days but since they're so much bigger I can easily wear a couple layers underneath!

Saturday I woke up nice and early, about 6:30am, had some coffee and oatmeal and got ready to go to Meadows, the ski resort on Mount Hood. I was super excited! I wore wool tights, a pair of knee high socks and the snow pants on the bottom and a tank top, turtleneck and jacket on top since it wasn't too chilly. I had bought a nice ski helmet that was really warm so I didn't need a hat and I had some ski goggles to fit over my glasses which are huge and make me look like a mosquito!

Proof!

The helmet is really comfy though and it's nice to hook the googles onto the back and not worry about them if I don't feel like using them! I didn't think I would want a helmet but I'm kind of glad I bought one as the mountain is pretty steep and well, I took a pretty hard fall! My new skis are awesome but since I've never skied on new skis I wasn't used to how fast freshly waxed new skis felt. (pretty awesome!) The first run down was really hard on me though. My boots fit me really well before but they felt way too tight. My calves were killing me and I had to stop a couple times and give myself a little pep talk. I didn't remember skiing to be this painful!!

When I made it down I went into the lodge to rest a bit and also figure out what was wrong with my boots. I took off the thick knee socks and tossed them in the trash (RIP cozy socks) and that made a world of difference! My next run was perfect and the guy that I rode up to the mountain with snowboarded along with me. We're both about the same speed right now so it was good to have someone to ski with. I took it pretty slow and worked a lot on learning to navigate and turn in my longer skis.

On the third run I went a little faster but still was pretty careful until the bottom. At the bottom of the run there is a pretty steep hill and it was really hard for me to figure out how to turn on it so I bombed the hill the first two times. This last time I think I started up a bit higher and gained too much momentum. When I tried to slow down at the bottom I hit some slush or ice and flew headfirst into the snow. My glasses cut open my forehead and I had a pretty big gash on my chin that needed 5 stitches. I've never had stitches before so it was kind of scary. I totally cried a few times when I found out I needed them and then again when I realized how much it was going to cost. Skiing is expensive!!

I am so thankful for the guy who picked up my ski and helped bring me over to the ski patrol people. He stopped and asked me if I was okay and all I could say was "no" because I was so shaken up. Seeing all the blood on the snow freaked me out because I had no idea where it was coming from. At first he thought it was just my forehead (from the glasses) but as I lifted up my head it was apparent I was bleeding pretty bad from my chin. The ski patrol guy was really helpful and brought me over to the emergency care facility on the other side of the lodge. Next time I am bringing gauze and super glue! I'm hoping I won't need to use it but I'm thinking it would be pretty helpful to have!

Here is some of the "damage"

My chin:

It's healing up okay though and I'm to get the stitches out on Friday. As it stands I think I'll be doing it myself. I have some whiplash today but the ice pack and ibuprofen has been helping with that. I am able to move my neck so I'm trying to do little stretches when I can. I think this means it's not too bad. There are some other aches and pains in my rib area and my spine but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about yet. I will go into the doctor if I have to though! A muscle relaxer for my neck would be nice..

Today I'm just resting! I'm not looking forward to work tomorrow at all but overall this was a great mini-vacation. I can't wait to get back to the mountain, now that I am a little more prepared for what to expect and I'm even considering looking into the cost of all-weather tires. Driving in snow and ice doesn't scare me as the Adirondack roads can be pretty treacherous! I think if I get a check from my previous landlord (or I win in court) that I will be using that money for tires and replenishing my bank account! I'm guessing my previous landlord won't be sending me a check and I'll have to take him to court (he's fined me quite a bit of money to 'turn-over' the apartment) but I can hope! It sure would be to his benefit to just make me go away. We all know how stubborn I am :)

2 comments:

  1. Brie! Oh my goodness. The pictures tell it all but I am so happy that you are looking forward to getting back out there. Brave gal! Know that Cliff and I are sending good vibes your way. Also, I'm super happy to hear that you had fun at Thanksgiving. We did. We need to hang out again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - ouch! It's healing up well though so I'm feeling better. My back and neck are pretty sore now but I think by the weekend I should be doing much better :)

    ReplyDelete